Friday, July 27, 2012

Garden Smiles

Green Men are a favorite venue for garden art.  My family and I are always on the hunt for Green Men. Once we found a fountain (which, in truth, was extremely ugly) with Green Men all around.  Many are portrayed as Dionysis.  George Carruth is one of my favorite sculptors of "Nature Faces."  He has a variety of Green Men faces -- all with a touch of humor.  Sometimes I think our home is an alternate gallery of his Green Men.  I wonder if any readers have started seeing Green Men in sculpture? If you are in a city -- look up!  New York's Barnes and Noble bookstore in Greenwich Village has Green Men.  Townhouses near the Walter's Art Gallery have Green Men adorning them.  Down town Chicago has a plethora of Green Men as you walk the streets near the art museum.  Carruth's work is at our National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.  Just a few examples on U.S. soil.  It is my dream to travel to Europe to go on a Green Man hunt.   (Carruth's work can be seen at: www.carruthstudio.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment